Friday, November 9, 2007

Waking up

For the past three days, my alarm set on NPR wakes me up, and literally in the next moment a thought hits me. The closest I can get to describing it is that it feels like someone had been thinking about it, brooding over it all night while I was sleeping, waiting anxiously for my mind to wake so that he/she/it? can drop it in my thoughts first thing. I've been really startled every morning by these really well thought-out, really sophisticated ideas. Sometimes I've given just the thought, and I'm left to discern how I feel towards it, and then sometimes I'm hit with a flood of emotions like today.

Today I heard so clearly and loudly: Sing a simple song of love.
It was in a command form.

Then the next thought I had was, "Yes, God, I over-think life and ultimately I try to over-think your plans for me, your love for me, I don't allow you to be my God in my life."

Then I made an association with the message I heard this morning with a praise song that I don't have a recording of and don't remember having sung anywhere else more than two times. I remembered the first verse:

I sing a simple song of love
To my Savior, to my Jesus
I'm grateful for the things you've done
My loving Savior, my precious Jesus

While I recalled the verse, I felt a renewed desire, a reminder to myself that all I want, and all I ever need is for my life to be a simple song of love to Jesus. And more, I was reminded of the wonder of Jesus that saved me.

I need God to remind me every morning about my first encounter,
my first loving exchange with Him occurred when I was set free,
unshackled from the violent chains of my past life,
given the power to abandon all my fears, insecurities, doubts with an impenetrable shield of faith,
and plunge into the vastness of the love Jesus with my whole heart.

My heart is glad that you've called me your own
There's no place I'd rather be

In your arms of love
In your arms of love
Holding me still
Holding me near

I'll sing a simple song of love to you Jesus.