Yesterday I spent all day at a far away park in New Jersey to watch some football. It was windy and freezing, even with a heavy bubble jacket and a scarf wrapped around my face.
I scheduled yesterday to be essay writing and research day. It's break and I need to catch up on work, that's what breaks are for. Every winter break growing up in Middle School and High School, I finished the rest of the math book for the year and I learned a language of some a tiny island. Life was about accomplishments back then. Accomplishments aka means of self-improvement that had no limit.
But yesterday I dared to take a break during break after various forms of persuasion and encouragement from a handful of people.
I loved waking up at 5:30 and walking across campus, thanking God for the past 3.5 years at Columbia thinking about how much God has changed me, thinking about His faithfulness. I fell in love with God all over again.
I loved waiting for the subway at 6:10, thanking God for bringing me to New York City and all the ways it has challenged and stretched my faith. Starting from the city I loathed and always compared to home to becoming the city I love, in which God and I first met. No other place is more Holy to me.
I loved riding the train to NJ at 7:15 in a cramped two seater facing one another with Albert and Irwin with my jacket-blanket across our laps. And with Jacob in the seat behind us passed out. In our random but always interesting conversations, I thought about how much I love these brothers on our way to NJ, thanking God for making Jesus the center of my relationships with them.
I loved watching the sisters and coaches play football all day. Thanking God for everyone and everything.